In 1946, the City of Cambridge Fire Department, which was headquartered at 491 Broadway, had three engines with 100-foot ladders. At the time, the 100-foot ladders were the newest and best for extinguishing blazes in Cambridge’s tall buildings.
According to Fire Chief Herman E. Gutheim, “Modern fire fighting equipment with trained fire fighters under capable leadership has given the City of Cambridge a fire department surpassed by none. Low fire losses and corresponding low fire insurance rates attest to the efficiency of the Cambridge Fire Department. The municipal policy of keeping up to the minute with latest firefighting techniques and modern equipment has paid dividens.”