Boston Woven Hose and Rubber Company is one of the industrial giants of 19th Century Cambridge. Boston Woven Hose was founded in Cambridge in 1880, and over the thirty years prior to the beginning of WWI, demand for its products grew and the company expanded first to an 18,000 square foot factory on Hampshire Street and then to a 250,000 square foot factory on Broadway – both buildings typical of 19th Century mills. In 1957, after several years of decreased efficiency and standards in the manufacturing process, the American Biltrite Rubber Company took over, and the Boston Woven Hose and Rubber Company was established.
The company produced a cotton-jacketed rubber hose, and it soon became the industry standard for manufacturing fire hoses. The Boston Bulldog was created as a trademark to identify this high quality brand of hose.
A few more readings about industry history in Cambridge:
**Generously researched and written by E. Bento.**