Page 1 of handwritten copy of the original Constitution of the Cambridge Anti-Slavery Society, May 1836, Cambridge Anti-Slavery Society Records, (129)
Cambridge and Boston in the 19th century was a hotbed of anti-slavery activity from the preaching of William Lloyd Garrison to the talks given by Frederick Douglass. The American Anti-Slavery Society was formed by Garrison and Arthur Tappan in 1833. The following year, the Cambridge Anti-Slavery Society was formed and a constitution was written on June 3, 1834 with the purpose of raising awareness and petitioning the United States Congress for the total abolition of slavery. The group was led by Aretmas B. Muzzey who recruited like minded men in Cambridge who believed in the complete eradication of slavery. The Cambridge division became part of the larger, national group in 1834 and regularly sent members to anti-slavery conferences. The Cambridge Anti-Slavery Society continued operating until the 1840s, but there is no documentation as to when the society disbanded.
The Cambridge Anti-Slavery Society Records contains one item, the Constitution of the Cambridge Anti-Slavery Society, a handwritten copy of the original constitution dated 1836.