On August 21, 1888, the Universalist Church moved from Lafayette Square to its present home on Inman Street. The picture above shows the church traveling through Central Square. Today, the church at 8 Inman Street is now St. Mary’s Orthodox Church.
Posts Tagged ‘Central Square’
Tonight’s Chronicle on Channel 5 is featuring Central Square as a Happenin’ Hood – coming just on the heals of Central Square being designated as a Massachusetts Cultural District. Kudos to Central Square!
Tune in tonight at 7:30 p.m.
“If This Library Could Talk…”
Central Square Branch Library
45 Pearl Street
Owner Joseph A. Stubbs receives a permit from the City to build a carriage house. W. H. Leach is the builder.
31 March 1900
The Stubbs family advertises their 7 room, harbor view cottage in South Wellfleet for rent for the season. Inquiries to be made at 45 Pearl Street with Mrs. M. J. Aitner.
27 October 1900
The Stubs have lost their black and white cat. For a reward, bring cat to 45 Pearl Street.
31 December 1913
The funeral is held for Mary Stubs, 72, and widow of Joseph A. Stubs at 3 p.m. at 45 Pearl Street.
28 October 1922
Miss Carolyn Stubbs (Radcliffe class of 1924) of 45 Pearl Street makes the Dean’s list.
Ground is broken on this site for the Central Square Branch Library.
The Library opens as part of the complex that included the municipal parking garage and the Manning Apartments. The Library cost $851,000 and boasted 15,000 square feet of fire proof and air conditioned library and community meeting space.
The Central Square Branch offered the most programs to the greatest number of people, including its annual Martin Luther King Day celebration.
The Literacy Center opens to provide tutoring and combat illiteracy among children and adults.
Governor Michael Dukakis launches the Commonwealth Literacy Campaign, an effort to help functionally illiterate adults to read, from the Library.
The Rotary Technology Center opens to keep up with the demand of personal computer use.
We’ve come across another great photo in our collection with no information about location or date. We know it is Mass Ave and we think it is from the turn of the 20th century. But what part of Mass Ave is it? And can anyone estimate a date? We need your help!